Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Nostalgia

I'm all warm and fuzzy about Baby Ty wearing some of Joey's newborn clothes and of course I had to take pictures. This is an outfit that my mom bought for Joey, he didn't fit into it until he was about 6 weeks old. He weighed 6 lbs 11oz at birth:





And here's Ty, 7 lbs 3 oz at birth, fitting into the same outfit right away!













I remember when Joey was born and all of the medical professionals going on about his "low muscle tone", and me, not having anything to compare him with, thought they were all crazy. I kept saying "but he's just a baby! He's not going to sit up on his own or anything!" but then I dressed Ty the other day and wow, did I feel the difference. That resistance in his little limbs, where you gently have to pry the arms and legs down to get them into the clothes...Joey really never had that. he was my little dolly, I could get him easily into anything because he was so loose and floppy. Now I get it.



So my poor baby is dealing with the croup I think. I took him to the doctor on Monday and she suspected early stages of croup or even possibly pneumonia, but it wasn't bad enough to send me rushing to the hospital. The Doc gave me a requisition for a chest x-ray and told me to take him in if he got any worse. Well, it's officially worse. He coughed so badly last night that it triggered his extremely strong gag reflex and he threw up his dinner. He has been coughing all night but like the sweet kid that he is he didn't complain, just fell right back asleep each time. I'm still waiting for him to wake up in order to decide about bringing him in. It's -31 here today, so I don't look forward to bringing a sick kid out in this weather. And then there's the method of x-raying the chest of a small child...he's had it done once before and basically they put his arms over his head and enclose him in a big tube sitting upright, with this plastic case snapped tight around his chest to keep him still. Ugh. Jason calls this machine the "iron maiden" and really, it does resemble some sort of torture device. Joey was only 7 months old when he had it done last time and I remember him bawling and me bawling, it was awful :(


Wish us luck!



- P, J and a croupy J


No comments: