Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Quest for the Right Clothing


Buying clothes for your child should be fun and easy, right? Well, if that child is Joey it's more challenging, though still fun.


Because Joey doesn't walk, and is extremely skinny around the waist, finding clothes that fit him properly and actually stay on while he scoots around on his bottom is no easy task. He has the waist of a 6-12 month old, but the height of a 3 year old! Try finding pants that meet those requirements!


After much searching we found the perfect pyjamas. They're from the Gap, fit very slim, are one peice and have no feet. No feet is key...when Joey scoots around in footed pyjamas his legs end up inside the body of the jammies, causing face-plants, causing rug burn...you get where I'm going with this. So these special Gap jammies are only sold in the US, but I've managed to do my bit for the environment by buying them second-hand on Ebay. One probem solved.


My newest challenge? Overalls. Joey has outgrown all of his size 2T overalls and it's time to move on to 3T. Overalls are great for him, since they're adjustable and don't come off. Unfortunately, brand-new plain denim overalls can run about $40, which I think is a bit crazy for kids clothes, so I've started looking for second-hand overalls. They are nowhere to be found!!! I've checked all three consignment shops in our city, nada. With the unfortunate downward turn in the value of the Canadian dollar Ebay is no longer the cost-saving heaven that it used to be. $10 USD to ship one paid of overalls from the US to Canada?! I don't think so! So I've posted some "wanted" ads on Craigslist and Kijiji, hoping for some hits, and I've posted on the parenting websites I frequent, hoping someone might want to make some extra cash and sell me their kids' overalls. So far I've gotten some offers of Sesame Street and Blues Clues overalls, but if you know me you'll understand that I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to how Joey is dressed...no character clothing for my kid!


So my "hit" counter tells me that this blog is read thousands of times (which freaks me out just a little bit...who are all of you people reading my blog?!) so if you or anyone you know has some gently used size 3T denim overalls that you would like to sell, please let me know!


- P, J & J

No comments: