Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Myotonic Dystrophy Test - Take Two

So the lab eventually called me back and took full responsibility for this mix-up...CHEO in fact did not actually receive the blood sample until October 15, 6 full days after it was drawn. They offered to do a home visit to draw the blood this time, but luckily I heard back from our geneticist and decided not to risk it again with the local lab and this morning we headed to North York General and gave another sample. The poor baby didn't enjoy it much, but they were good and quick, and soon enough we were back in the genetics department watching the huge 100 gallon aquarium and it was all smiles.

Dr. V says she has gotten results from this test as quickly as 4 weeks, but it has also taken as long as 12 weeks. I noticed on the lab requisition that there were some circumstances that this test could be a rush job, but only if I was currently pregnant or Joey was less than 3 months old, so we get absolutely no priority at all in this case. Had I not been so mentally and physically drained I might have gotten pushy and asked that she request this one be rushed under special circumstances (maybe that Mommy is going to lose her mind?!) but I decided against it.

So it may not be until January that we get the results, but the good news is that Dr. V tells me that this is a definitive test, no room for misinterpretations like with the Angelman test fiasco back in February. I suppose I'll just focus on that positive for now!

- P, J & J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, Pam, that's horrible. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. But like you said, at least you can focus on the positives that once the test comes back you know one way or the other. Hang in there and focus on the holidays for now! :)