Monday, November 10, 2008

I am being tested...

No, not my blood, but my patience.

I just received a message from Sick Kids Hospital to let me know that Joey's test for Myotonic Dystophy was NOT done, because Ottawa Children's Hospital (CHEO) did not receive Joey's blood sample until SIX DAYS after it was drawn, and they need a fresh sample to do the test.

So that would mean they received it October 15 or 16, knew they couldn't do the test and I am just being notified now. And here I was thinking that we'd be getting results any day now, but instead I'm spending the balance of my day calling around to the lab, Sick Kids and CHEO trying to find out where this mistake happened. I need to know so that we can figure out if we're just going to have to drive to downtown Toronto to get the blood drawn this time or if it wasn't the lab's fault maybe we can try again here. As I type this I am into my second half-hour on hold with the lab, and the longer they leave me hanging on the phone the more angry I am getting.

I am devastated. As I explained to the Sick Kids nurse (in between sobs) in the message I just left her, I am 33 years old and would like to have another child, but we need these results back before we can decide on that. I think about this test daily, wondering if Joey has MD, which would mean I have it too, and are we going to have another baby or am I going to be scheduling a tubal ligation because there's too big of a risk to have another child? I feel sick to my stomach knowing we have to start all over again.

- P, J & J

No comments: