Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sippy Cup Success!

For the first time in 3 years, 5 months and 2 days Joey held a bottle and brought it to his mouth! This has been the bain of our existence, having a child who relies on others 100% to feed him both solids and bottle, so this is HUGE progress!!! He didn't actually drink from it, but he picks it up, plays with it and brings it to his mouth repeatedly. I think he just needs to figure out that he needs to tip his head back to get anything from it. Of course I managed to capture it on video this morning:


About 2 weeks ago I purchased the bottles you see in the video, as they were the only ones that took he nipples from Joey's other bottles and had optional sippy cup handles. This was a big deal for us as Joey has been using the same bottles since he was released from the hospital at 26 days old. For the past 3 weeks I have been feeding him from the new bottles just to get him used to the shape and size but with no pressure for him to hold it himself. On Monday I decided to put it in his crib with him for naps and bedtime with just a little bit of water. This morning I removed it and it looked like there were bite marks on the nipple but I couldn't be sure. So this morning I refilled it and put it on the floor, where he proceeded to put it in his mouth!

What a lovely start to the day :)

- P, J & J

1 comment:

GP Whittaker said...

Congratulations to you for your persistence in trying to find a way for Joey to succeed in this way.