Thursday, May 14, 2009

Good News, for a Change

Just a quick update...I received a call from the nurse at Mount Sinai with some of my blood test results from last week. My bile acids have gone down to 12.9, which indicates the medication is working somewhat. It's still above normal but lower than the 15 it was measuring a month ago. My other liver function tests are still relatively normal, with the exception of a slightly elevated billirubin (if it gets too high it results in jaundice).

The risk for the baby to have Down Syndrome is 1/34,800 and the risk of Spina Bifida is 1/19,000, both very low risk, these stats are "the best they can get", according to my regular OB, Dr. S., who I saw on Friday. His response to the choroid plexus cyst? "Who cares?" were his exact words. He said that because the rest of the ultrasound was normal, and my Down Syndrome, Spina Bifida and other test numbers are so high, there is no reason to worry. He also said that when he worked at London Health Sciences Centre a number of years ago they wouldn't even mention these cysts on ultrasound reports if no other abnormalities were found, because they are almost always insignificant. He really does have a way of putting things that makes me feel a whole lot better. I'm haven't stopped worrying 100% and probably won't until this baby is born, but I do feel much more confident that this baby is healthy.

This Tuesday is Joey's appointment at Sick Kids in Toronto for the consultation with the G-Tube clinic, and Wednesday morning is my appointment at Mount Sinai for the level 2 ultrasound. We're going to make it a mini family vacation and stay downtown Toronto for the night, go out for dinner and find something fun to do with Joey. Hopefully I'll have great news from both appointments on Wednesday!

- P, J & J

No comments: