Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Our Latest Lesson

Through the blogging community I came across the blog of one very amazing family, who is going through a very difficult time in their lives.

http://sgirl79.blogspot.com/

Stacy has gone through her entire pregnancy knowing that her son, Isaac, would be born with several genetic abnormalities and likely would not survive long after birth, if he made it through the pregnancy at all. In addition to the blog I linked to above, she also started another blog as daily letters to Isaac:

www.mydearisaac.blogspot.com

I warn you in advance, do not visit either of these blogs without a box of tissues handy.

I have followed her blog for months and her strength and courage have been such a source of inspiration to me. Today was Isaac's birthday, a scheduled c-section. Isaac lived for 16 minutes.

The lesson I have taken from this isn't that "God only gives us what we can handle", nor is it that "things could be worse". Stacy wished for one thing above all others...to be able to hold her son while he was still breathing. Sure, she prayed for a miracle, but her biggest hope was simply to hold her son while he was alive.

So on the bad days I have, when I get angry and wish that Joey would just start talking or walking, I need to remember to be thankful for the seemingly small things that truly are a gift. Today Joey woke up with a smile on his face, he gave me hugs when I asked for them, and tonight he will cause Jason and I to laugh with the silly things he does.

And tomorrow I will get more than 16 minutes to hold my son.

- P, J & J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Life is all about putting things in perspective. I agree with you that it is so easy to get down about things, but when you really stop and look around, you realize how lucky and blessed we truly are!